Strong Bilingual Montessori Programs
Why Bilingual Montessori?
The Bilingual Montessori Project emerged in 2020 from the need to create a community of practice for Montessorians working with more than one language in their schools. There is little training to support this work, virtually no research and scarce documentation of effective practices. The number of schools finding their way on this unmarked path is constantly growing so we wanted to create a virtual community to have spaces to share and continually learn from each other. We began by recognizing that each multilingual school is distinct due to: - the socio-linguistic context of the location - the culture of the school, its values and priorities - the human resource puzzle: finding people with the training, human qualities and language skills to reach our goals These variables, plus many others, mean that each school is on its own journey, so there is no one-size-fits all "how to manual". Instead we are compiling a "Field Guide" to share effective classroom and administrative practices from other schools to serve as "guideposts" to inspire you as you make your way. In 2022 we were very fortunate to receive a 3 year Erasmus + Grant, which has permitted us to add more partners to the project, conduct preliminary research and work towards specific outcomes. You can read more about the work of the grant on the Erasmus+ page.
What we do in the field of bilingual Montessori education:
expertise and resources
- Online and in person events
- Resource Library
- Links to external resources
We are building a body of knowledge around our work, formally with our Case Study Research Project, which consists of semi-structured qualitative interviews with School Leaders, Teachers and Language Specialists to gather best practices in different socio-linguistic contexts. Highlights of the outcomes will be shared in: - the Field Guide and its online Companion Course - Conference presentations - Articles
a community of practitioners
- Community Conversations
- Notes From The Field: our blog
- Wed, Feb 21LIVE ZOOM EVENT: Community ConversationFeb 21, 2024, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM GMT+1LIVE ZOOM EVENT: Community ConversationFeb 21, 2024, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM GMT+1LIVE ZOOM EVENT: Community ConversationWITH ROBERTA ANDENNA For the English language program coordinators, elementary teachers, language specialists and school leaders in our community. Roberta will share her experience in combining the Montessori method with Cambridge and National Exams. FULL INFORMATION BELOW.
- Wed, Mar 13LIVE ZOOM EVENT: Community ConversationMar 13, 2024, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM GMT+1LIVE ZOOM EVENT: Community ConversationMar 13, 2024, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM GMT+1LIVE ZOOM EVENT: Community ConversationWITH JANA WINNEFELD Jana will share the steps she has taken towards learner autonomy with children aged 6-10. She will share experiences and tools, challenges and successes, and her learnings along the way. Full event details below.